How This One Button Could Change Your Customer Relationships

Danielle Beurteaux

Shopping via mobile has been a annoyance for shoppers and sellers alike. Browsers are too Toronto, Ontario, Canada --- Couple with credit card in cafe looking at digital tablet together --- Image by © LWA/Dann Tardif/Blend Images/Corbisslow, sites don’t load well, and entering info, like long credit card numbers, is difficult to do correctly. So buyers might search on a smartphone, but they’ll buy using a desktop, laptop, or tablet.

So recent introductions of one-click buy buttons specifically for mobile by Google, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter are designed to create an uninterrupted shopping experience.

But people don’t just want to buy anytime and anywhere now; they want the entire digital experience to be seamless. That means the purchase experience from research to the shopping cart to completing the interaction needs to be incorporated—installation appoints, service calls, updates—as an integrated part of the digital experience. Customer experience and ease-of-use go hand-in-hand in the digital economy.

We like self-service

Research by CEB found that a) customers like self-service options, and b) if customers can’t complete an interacting via self-service and have to use the phone, they’re 10% more likely to be disloyal than customers who could get their business done themselves. And the research also found that 57 percent of customers’ calls were after a visit to a website, and more than 30 percent of those calls are made while the customer is still on a company website.

Digital disconnect

According a report from The Economist’s Intelligence Unit, hyperconnectivity is speeding up business processes, and the frequent reaction to this is automation. But only 39 percent of companies included in the research conduct digital skills training—at the same time acknowledging that web and bricks-and-mortar are equally important to their products and/or services.

Behind the challenge

The front-facing elements of buy buttons isn’t the challenge—it’s what is going on in the back end that’s a big deal. The mobile buy button is 1 percent of the entire effort, and remaining 99 percent is in creating rest of the digital experience.

Integrating buy buttons, inventory management, customer behavior—these are just some of the challenges still standing in the way of buy buttons becoming the face of a truly integrated digital experience.

Pinterest decided to take the slow and steady route to buy button development. One thing its research uncovered is that Pinners like to take their time before they hit that button—they’re not always in a rush to decide. So they designed the experience to encourage browsing and a leisurely pace.

But will shoppers use them?

The second challenge is changing consumer behavior—the switch from mobile to another mode is entrenched enough that it will likely take a while before immediate buying becomes accepted and normal. Smartphones were for research, but tablets were twice as likely to be used to actually complete a purchase, according to research from Nielsen.

Facebook has partnered with Shopify to allow users on that social network to easily buy from Shopify partner stores. The stores get analytics, and Facebook gets to analyze purchasing behavior (Facebook’s previous mobile shopping attempts have not lasted very long).

Want more on maximizing your customers’ experience? See How to Deliver a Coordinated Customer Experience across Every Channel.


Danielle Beurteaux

About Danielle Beurteaux

Danielle Beurteaux is a New York–based writer who covers business, technology, and philanthropy. Her work has appeared in The New York Times and on Popular Mechanics, CNN, and Institutional Investor's Alpha, among other outlets.