Cloud computing is the business buzzword today, as it leads enterprises toward digitization and brings opportunities that were previously unavailable. Cloud adoption is no longer confined to big enterprises; even small and mid-sized businesses are considering it a worthy investment. The cloud enables businesses to enjoy computing resources over the Internet without actually needing to invest in them. These resources, which comprise software, storage, networking, virtual machinery, applications, and more, are available as utilities which businesses pay for as they use them. Since the offerings of cloud technology are so extensive, it serves as an ideal foundation to build a digital enterprise.
Benefits of moving to the cloud
Having already disrupted the traditional business model, digitization is becoming the order of the day. It has become imperative for enterprises to embark on their digital journey, and the cloud is the catalyst that drives innovation and sets them on the right path. Here are some of the benefits the cloud can offer your business:
The cloud environment enhances an organization’s working efficiency, offering seamless collaboration and communication between employees, customers, and third parties—the cloud computing model provides all players access to data so that they can work simultaneously on projects.
Cloud integration provides interoperability. As systems move to the cloud, they become far more compatible with other systems. Tools such as data analytics and enterprise mobility are available as part of the cloud package and can be used to take a business to the next level.
The cloud boosts flexibility, enabling employees to become more productive. Users can access business data off-site and work from home, a client location, or anywhere else. This boosts both productivity and employee motivation.
Cloud adoption makes it easy for businesses to scale up or down according to their operation and storage requirements. It eliminates the need to upgrade resources as these are provided by the hosting service, easing the process of scaling.
Another crucial cloud benefit is data security. The cloud handles enterprise data securely, keeping it safely backed up and fully recoverable to ensure business continuity in the event of a disaster.
Cloud computing reduces infrastructure costs considerably as it eliminates the need to purchase expensive equipment and systems, maintenance and IT upgrades, consultant fees, energy consumption costs, etc. It also reduces delays as any issues related to these services are resolved more quickly. Moreover, the pay-as-you-go model is more cost-efficient.
The cloud enables greater business agility as it offers a perfect platform for rapid development, distribution, deployment, and experimentation of new technologies. Enterprises enjoy immediate access to the latest innovative business strategies.
Cloud transition strategies
Adoption of cloud technology is a big move, but it offers even bigger payouts. As more enterprises understand the cloud’s full potential, adoption is becoming a business essential, so it is important to develop a strategy for a smooth transition. Here are some factors to consider:
- The process begins with strategic planning, so you must fully understand the IT infrastructure requirements of the enterprise. Key resources such as databases, applications, interfaces, extensions, networks, and customized hardware must be considered in detail.
- It is important to assess the challenges and risks of cloud deployment as well as the opportunities it is likely to offer. Take a forward-lookiing approach as cloud technology is constantly evolving and changes may be needed sooner than you expect.
- Determine the feasibility of deploying existing business applications in the cloud. Factors such as cost can help you decide whether business-critical apps should be stored separately or moved to the cloud.
- The cloud adoption strategy must be synced with your organization’s vision, goals, and needs to ensure that it is both practical and suitable.
- Finally, it is important to adopt a strategy that maximizes ROI for your business. Research cloud service providers to ensure that you find one that can deliver a solution that is right for your organization.
The right migration strategy can help your business reap the benefits of the cloud to its best advantage. Considering the benefits it can bring, cloud adoption is a smart decision for any enterprise. A cloud-enabled business model is the best way for an enterprise to discover new channels and extend its reach. Cloud is a powerful technology that can help any business harness innovation and deliver winning results.
For more insight on the business advantages of the cloud, see How CFOs Are Revealing The Deeper Benefits Of The Cloud.